Michael T. Donaghy
8909 Waynick Dr * Raleigh, NC 27617 * 919.783.0861 (Res)
E-Mail: michael AT donaghy DOT org * 919.523.5854 (Mobile)
A position in software development creating solutions that add business value, with a preference toward server-side java development and solution architecture.
- Application Development: Proficient at designing and implementing Java applications with an emphasis on server-side programs.
- Database Design: Experience developing conceptual and physical data models for applications including identifying indexes, foreign keys, triggers, UDFs, and materialized tables.
- Database Migration: Experience migrating and transforming data via SQL
- Solutions Architecture: Experience mapping business problems to IT Solutions and developing integration code when necessary.
- Process Automation: Skilled at identifying and automating manual processes to produce consistent execution of processes and overall people time savings.
- Communication: Experience producing clear and concise communication to audiences including executives, release managers, business partners, and development peers.
- International Business Machines, Inc. RTP, NC 2003-Present
- Application Development - IBM Clearing House
- Responsibilities included leading efforts to stabilize existing production, build, and development environments, coordinating deployments with hosting teams, writing data migration scripts, and developing new features using OpenJPA, EJB3, Portlets, and Dojo 1.6 for an IBM internal application hosted on WebSphere Portal, WebSphere Application Server and DB2.
- Application Development - Software Product Compatibility Reports
- Lead Developer on project expected to produce cost savings to IBM by eliminating numerous manual ways that IBM publishes software product system requirements to customers, sales, support, and business partners.
- Delivered project within budget and target delivery schedule and handled obstacles with a methodical approach.
- Responsibilities include evaluation of available technology platforms to provide a low-cost external facing reporting system, and presentations to internal audiences on new publishing facility.
- Implemented using SQL, JAX-B, XSL, apache-fop, and Jetty
- Application Development - Lotus Sametime Unified Telephony and Sametime Meetings Audio/Video
- Developed UI Client code to support audio video collaboration inside an electronic meeting room using Eclipse Rich Client Platform. Experience included working with multiple threads responding to UI and network events.
- Fixed defects, peer review, and delivered new code in support of Sametime Unified Telephony.
- Solutions Architecture & Application Development - Solution Consultant Express Tool
- Contributed to development of sales "opportunity identification" tool for IBM Sales & Business Partners that identified customer's business challenges through an interview process. Tool generated product recommendations, dynamically assembled overview and implementation guidance documentation for proposed solution, and performed product version compatibility verification.
- Responsibilities included developing questions to identify business pain points and technical requirements to determine relevant products for a solution, providing documentation to tool's user why a particular product was chosen, documenting details about products, and managing metadata for tool.
- Reviewed DB data model designs that capture operating system and software requirement details for IBM products. Wrote DB triggers & UDF's to support data entry tooling.
- Managed content feeds of multiple datasources for tool and added multi-threading to divide work to allow metadata update program job to complete in a quarter of single-thread execution time.
- Wrote documentation describing overview, use, and integration of IBM SOA Connectivity Products (WebSphere Business Interchange, WebSphere Enterprise Service Bus, WebSphere Integration Developer, WebSphere DataPower XS40 & XI50)
- Mid-Market Solution Architecture
- Team lead on development of 5 Solution Starting Points for Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) for IBM Business Partners.
Responsibilities included management of project on a day-to-day basis.
- Developed technical reference documentation for business partners on using & implementing web services
- Mid-Market Solution Development
- Developed application to run on Lotus Foundations server to integrate with Lotus Foundations server that scanned documents from MFP and uploaded to Lotus Live Cloud (scan to LotusLive)
- Contributed to development of pre-defined solutions on portals and data dransformation
- Provided training to sales team
- Developed Eclipse plugins to assist with creation of Business Intelligence data models from resource repository
- Enterprise Solution Development
- Developed time and attendance scheduling portlet for proof-of-concept/reference implementation solution on WebSphere Portal
- Co-developed FDL & Monitor workflow model in WebSphere Business Interchange Workbench for business process proof-of-concept/reference implementation solution
- Co-developed training modules for sales teams & presented material at sales workshops
- Staff Software Engineer, IBM Corp. RTP, NC, June 2006 - Present
- Software Engineer, IBM Corp. RTP, NC, June 2003 - May 2006
- Preprofessional Programmer, IBM Corp.
- RTP, NC, Summers 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
- Implemented and deployed an integrated secure e-Payments business solution using WebSphere Portal Server, CrossWorlds, and WebSphere Studio Application Developer on Windows 2000 and AIX
- Developed portlets, XSL style sheets, assembled efforts of sub-teams, and wrote documentation.
- Developed sample web application enabled for WebSphere Site Analyzer
- Developed sample modules to provide best-practice to customers on application extensibility
- Created e-Commerce Store (jsp, html) with WebSphere Commerce
- Certified products "Tivoli Ready" on AIX, HP-UX, OS/2, Solaris, and Windows NT platforms; Work with Tivoli Framework, GEM, and Inventory
- Created and verified documentation
- Wrote scripts to automate tasks
- Systems Administrator, NC State University College of Textiles
- Raleigh, NC, February 1999 to December 1999 (part-time)
- Development team member of Eos Linux distribution project
- Performed software installation/upgrading
- Developed web pages and gave presentations on Linux at NC State University
- Performed hardware testing
- Systems Administrator, Pagesz Corporation
- Cary, NC, August 1996 to May 1999 (part-time)
- Designed, developed, & programmed customer database system
- Performed general system administration duties (server installation/upgrades, kernel upgrades, activation of user accounts, web server administration)
- Provided technical support
- Wrote customer CGI scripts & debug other's CGI scripts
- Designed web pages
Computer Programming Languages
- Recent Experience
- Server Side Java: OpenJPA, JDBC, JAX-B, JAX-WS, JAX-RS, Servlets, Portlets, JSP
- Linux/Unix Scripting: Bourne/Bash, Korn, sed, awk, perl
- Prior Languages
- Client Side Java: SWT, JFace, Eclipse Plugin Development, Applets
- Multi-Threading Experience: Splitting work of batch jobs across multiple threads to reduce job runtime and multi-threaded applications that respond to UI & network events
- Databases: IBM DB2: Table Creation DDL, Data Updating, Querying, iViews, MQT, Database Federation, Trigger Development, SQL Stored Procedures, SQL UDF development, Java UDF development ; Apache Derby; MySQL
- Web / Application Servers: WebSphere Application Server, WebSphere Portal Server, Apache Tomcat, Apache HTTPD Server
- Integrated Development Environments: Eclipse, Rational Application Developer, Rational Software Architect, Rational Data Architect
- Source Code Management: CVS, SVN, Rational ClearCase, Jazz/Rational Team Concert
- Internet Applications: Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, MS Internet Explorer, Lotus Notes, Mozilla Thunderbird
- Operating Systems: Linux (RHEL, CentOS, Fedora, SLES), Windows (2000, 2003, 2008, XP, 7), AIX
- Office Productivity: MS Office, Lotus Symphony, OpenOffice
- Networking: Cisco IOS / Switch Management, BIND (DNS)
- Master of Computer Science - North Carolina State University: August 2002 - May 2003. GPA: 4.00
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science - North Carolina State University: August 1998 - May 2002. Minor: Business Management. GPA: 3.84/4.00. Major GPA: 3.98/4.00. Summa cum laude.
Awards and Honors
- 2002: College of Engineering Outstanding Senior Award for Leadership
- System, method, and apparatus for replication a portion of a content repository
- System, method, and apparatus for replication a portion of a content repository using behavioral patterns
- 2005: Developing an On Demand Workplace, Part 19: Build a simple report with the DB2 Alphablox reporting and analysis tool, IBM developerWorks
- 2005: Developing an On Demand Workplace, Part 17: Export a business process to IBM WebSphere MQ Workflow, IBM developerWorks
- 2004: Build a Web auction client: Using JavaServer Faces and IBM Rational Web Developer 6.0, IBM developerWorks
- 2004: Build a Web service using the Eclipse Web Tools Platform, IBM developerWorks